Friday 3 October 2014

The Mountain Unicyclist



Meet Lindsay - who's a little crazy. He rode the Dirty Weekend earlier this year and now he's taken things to the next level. He's decided to unicycle 255 km off road down the Kidman trail - on a unicycle. 


G’day my name is Lindsey Colla.

Lindsey with his KH Uni on a training ride

I'm a keen Mountain Biker - and I've ridden the Dirty Weekend with Bike SA before. It's fun, it's epic - but I needed an even bigger challenge. 

On October 4th my good friend Marc and I will be starting a 'Municycle' (Aka Mountain Unicycle) ride on a 255km trail in South Australia to raise funds for Wheels 4 Life.

How'd the idea start? 

Late last year I was listening to a podcast of a  famous "Municyclist" Kris Holms. 
 
To quote Kris “I spent my career trying to convince people that Mountain Unicycling is something that anybody can do and having a much smaller proportion of people actually believe me”.

Hearing Kris say this it rung through and a few weeks later I was setting some goals for the new year and put at the top of the list learn how to ride a Unicycle and ride well enough to make it to the local shops and back without crashing before the year is out.

Now as any skill worth having the first few hours it did seem impossible but once you break through that barrier it just clicks and you have it.

Turns out unicycling is actually a much quicker learning curve than I expected having accomplished my goal and much more now riding many of the local mountain bike trails.


uni 4
When I was planning this epic adventure I saw an opportunity to potentially help many people using my new riding skill as the leverage. So I checked out famous Mountain Biker Hans Rey and his efforts with Wheels 4 life.

I investigated further into W4L and watched the video of many grateful recipients of new bikes and could see that this simple thing the bicycle could massively improve lives.
With a few solid hours of hard work the donations are flowing in.

merose & uni 006
Marc and I will soon be wheel to dirt cruising at a top speed of 10.2 km per hour having a great time and knowing that this simple act will change some lives for the better.

Thank you for reading everyone and you're welcome to come along on the last leg. You can meet me at Kuitpo at 10 am on Saturday the 11th of October. The pace will be slow 10 kmph ish so people can bring the kids if they can do the distance

If you think Lindsay's a legend - throw a gold coin his way via Wheels4Life. 
wheels4life.org click donate today and to add to our tally simply write “Unicycle Adventure” in the comments box - or simply join him for the ride 



No comments:

Post a Comment