Friday 27 June 2014

"I've seen more of South Australia on my bike than I've ever seen from a car"




Delwyn first joined Bike SA for a tour along the Mawson Trail. Since then she's become addicted to bike touring. We had a chat to her about life on tour. 


Bike SA: How did you first fall in love with bicycle touring?

Delwyn: While I have cycled all my life as a means of local transport I only got into bicycle touring in 2010.  My first tour was the Bicycle SA Outback Epic – the top third of the Mawson Trail.  This was the hardest physical thing I have ever done in my life !!!!  I would not say I fell in love with bicycle touring by doing this however it did motivate me to go on the 2010 Annual Tour, an event I enjoyed so much that I have been on everyone since.

Do you have any advice for those taking up touring for the first time

To maximize your enjoyment on any bicycle tour I strongly suggest that cyclists do some training, preferably on the bike that will be used on the tour.  This will help to get the cyclist bike-fit and also ensure their bike is setup correctly for them.  For my first tour I followed the training advice that was provided by Bicycle SA.  Since then I keep up cycling all year so that I am cycle-fit for up coming tours and events

Why bike touring? Why not just get in the car and drive?

I love touring by cycle as, besides the health and fitness benefits, it gives me a chance to “smell the roses” along the way.  I have seen more of South Australia on my bike than I have ever seen from a car.

What are 3 things you couldn’t live without when bike touring?


  • Chamois cream
  • Bike computer and map
  • Water, lots n lots of water



What are you most looking forward to for this year’s Annual Tour and how many Annual Tours have you done with Bike SA?

This year will be my sixth Annual Tour.  Aside from the cycling, I am looking forward to catching up with the friends I have made on previous tours and to being looked after by the wonderful Bicycle SA volunteers.

What’s your best and worst cycle touring moment?

The worst moment of any tour for me is unpacking when I get home !!!! I have had many “best moments” on cycling tours, here are just a few:


  • The glorious ride from Goolwa to Victor Harbor on the rest day of 2011 Annual Tour with my friends Chris and Mary-Ann. Saw dolphins, swam at Horse Shoe Bay and had fish n chips for lunch.
  • Riding Kangaroo Island  Annual Tour in 2013 with Mary-Ann.  Heat, flies, rain, mud, delicious marron lunch, KI Spirits,  and local farm children offering free softdrinks in the middle of nowhere - what more could you ask for.
  • Riding down from the forests in Burgundy, France to a view of lush green vineyards as far as the eye could see.  
You can join Delwyn on this year's Annual Tour along the Mighty Murray river on September 20-28 this year. Limited spaces available, so be quick! 

No comments:

Post a Comment